Firth of Clyde day trips (16th to 18th August 2022)
Event created by Annette Morris
This is three individual day trips in the usually sheltered beautiful Firth of Clyde in the Largs West Kilbride area. Options for paddling depending on weather include:
- circumnavigation of Wee Cumbrae from Portencross Castle or Fairlie. This involves a 3 km crossing. We can visit the old lighthouse and experience magnificent views over to Arran and the Cowal peninsula
- circumnavigation of Big Cumbrae from Largs Marina. This involves a 2 km crossing followed by 15km round. A visit to the seaside town of Millport is a must. Porpoises, common seals and Kylie the dolphin likely to be seen,
- coastal paddling south past the old sea plane hanger, the defunct coal depot to Hunterston. Or north to the famous Wemyss Bay station stopping for an ice cream at Nardinis in Largs,
- paddle down to Horse Isle near Ardrossan from Seamill or Portencross to see the nature reserve,
- if weather is settled and team up for it, it’s a 2 hour paddle (about 11km) over to Isle of Bute.
We’ll be centre based near Largs Marina with the option to camp at Kelburn Castle or use a nearby B&B.
The intention is to meet midday Tuesday and finish later on Thursday.
I’ll be camping Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, and travel Tuesday morning and Thursday evening.
1. Event co-ordinator Annette Morris
2. Trip Leader: Annette Morris
3. Trip type: Coastal sea kayaking and short crossings to islands
4. Level of ability: Improver, Intermediate or better
5. Date: Tuesday 16th August to Thursday 18th August
6. Venue The Clyde - Fairlie/Largs
Accommodation: Camping (Kelburn Castle, Fairlie, near Largs) £5 per night for grass pitch and £5 per peson. Hard standing and hook ups also available. Two small tents can fit on one pitch, so contact me if no pitches available on website.
https://www.kelburnestate.com/stay/ Kelburn Estate, Fairlie, Largs, KA29 0BE
Free Motorhome parking at Largs Marina Yacht Haven (but no facilities). Irvine Road (A78), Largs, KA30 8EZ. This is about 1km from the Kelburn Castle camping.
Or book in to a nearby B&B.
Pubs, restaurants and chip shops are within walking distance
7. Meet location/time: Kelburn campsite at 12 noon (then probably Fairlie or Largs Marina at 13:00 - check on WhatsApp group)
8. Travel: 2.5 hours from Carlisle to Largs
9. Sea kayaks only
Unless very windy there should be somewhere we can paddle. Bring your walking shoes in case too windy to paddle each day. The grounds of Kelburn Castle are magnificent. Beach at Seamill and cliffs at Portencross are worth a visit.
Please read notes re trips here:
I am happy to co-ordinate and lead the trip. However, as we will be a team, we are jointly responsible for each other’s safety on the water.
Please ensure you carry the correct kit for the trip you are attending.
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now