Jump to content
Lakeland Canoe Club

Tom P

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tom P

  1. until
    This will be a self supporting trip around Jura for a maximum of five people. Plan A involves meeting at Kennacraig at 1400 to be ready to board Ferry to Port Askaig at1500 for 1530 sailing. Arrive Islay 1725 which gives us 6 ish hours of flood tide to go west and camp. Rerturn on 1530 ferry on Saturday 24th. Tickets are refundable at a days notice so if weather is bad we can rearrange. Wheels needed for ferry. Ferry tickets are £14.2o per person which I have bought. Would like to visit upper Loch Tarbert, through the Narrows and allow time for some exploration , rather than just blasting round (possibly climb the Paps ? or explore many of the beaches on the west coast ) Coordinator; Tom Peacock Leader; Tom Peacock/Peer Group Level; This is an advaced trip due to its exposed nature, predictably unpredictable weather, swell, open crossings fast tides and the odd whirlpool ! Equipment; All to be self sufficient carrying 7 days food and at least 2 of the following ; waterproofed available phone, radio, PLB/EPIRB, selection of flares; distress lighting. I also suggest carrying some water/ filter system. More discussion on trip Whats App . Plan B ; If weather looking dodgy will make another self supporting plan somewhere appropriate.
  2. until
    This will be a five day event based on a campsite in the Bamburgh area. TBC. Event limited to six people. Prime objectives would be trips to the inner and outer Farne isles, Holy Island, sections of the Northumberland coast, St Abbs Head and possibly Dunbar (48 miles away) to Pease Bay. I envisage us arriving on the camp site the night before (13th) so we can pick the best option for day 1. Some days will involve shuttles as some trips are linear. In the event of NE or easterly winds and swell forecast we will consider going elswhere so be flexible.(poss Oban area)Big beaches, bring wheels! Due to possible bad weather and difficulties committing to booking campsites this trip may become a five night exped based in Scotland but a discussion will take place on the trip Whats App group the week before Level; Intermediate/advanced Leader; TomPeacock ( 07765257469)/Peer group Date; 13 June (arrive eve to camp) If in Scotland-arrive to get to a wild camp site. Venue; Bamburgh area ; campsite to be confirmed.
  3. until

    Hi Chris Could I be first reserve please if anybody drops out. Thanks
  4. If anybody drops out I am keen to go
  5. until

    Hi Eric Which bit of the Derwent is your Plan A? If it is the lower Derwent to Cockermouth I assume we still need a lake permit ?
  6. until

    Hi All when a trip goes on the calendar shouldnt' it be live immediately ?-- it can always change later due to weather or covid ?
  7. until

    Rob could I have your tel number so I can put you on a Jura whats App group. Could not find your number on the other club whats App sites.
  8. until

    thanks Brian. There may be a way around this so I will keep you on the whats app group i am about to set up with all info on it. Check SCA info as there may be different rules in Scotland. From a wild camping point of view we probably do not want more than 7 tents for some of the smaller spots.
  9. until

    Have reserved a place for Ian Barker, a new club member (joined today) whose booking system has not yet gone live. Ian has been around Jura previously in a kayak.
  10. Tom P

    River Ure

    hi i am still up for the trip
  11. Tom P

    Galloway Coast


    Hi Mike Which campsite are we using ?
  12. until
    A 6 day round trip of Jura based on taking the ferry to Port Askaig on Islay Exact details to be agreed by those that RSVP Plan B trip based on more sheltered waters around Arduanie/Seil/Oban Tentative weather dependent Plan A Please CHECK MY TIDAL CALCULATIONS--- like the government- collective responsibility if wrong ! Wed 26 Boats packed and checked in BY 12 .50 kennacraig Sail 1300 Arrives Port Askaig 14.55 (kennacraig 4hrs 13 min from Ullswater) Sound of Islay flows North at 16.42. To be on water as soon as we can make headway. Launch point is metres from where ferry docks. Camp as far North East as we can get ! ie Glenbatrick ? or Ruantallan bothy area (bothies are still closed) Thursday 27 camp to Glengarrisdale bothy area. Friday 28 Neap tides. The Hagg flows east from 13.57 (please check) Morning paddle to Bagh Gleann Muc arrive here no earlier than 12.57 and await our moment. Once through the Corrveckan head south and camp either at Port an Tiobart or further south. Saturday 29 Head South campsite at Jura Hotel Caignish closed until March 2021 Could get boat Sunday 1530 or Monday either 0700 or 1700 Obviously this is all weather dependent. Corrryveckan westerly flow (flood) on wed 26 is 16.57 so would mean a crossing of sound of Jura. Westerly on Thursday 05.41 and 18.17 and on Friday 28 (neaps) is 07.14 and 2012 --not helpful. All calculations based on Oban meteo Consult Marine Tides and tidal streams from Clyde Cruising club Kintyre to Ardnamurchan. If anybody knows of any likely wild camping spots please let me know. Ferry is £6.90 one way. I will keep an eye on availability Have confirmed they are still taking sea kayakers.
  13. until

    Eric the trip seems to have closed at 5 people. Is there still a place for one more and can I come.
  14. Trip now on for 1000 meet at the new car park at Pooley Bridge. Try not to arrive too early in case the first group are late away. Is this ok with everybody ?
  15. Pete; It would suit me to move to Pooley Bridge at 1000 but as as yet I am still awaiting Robins answer before I change my trip location or time. As soon as I know I will post something.
  16. I'll go for that but am just awaiting an answer from Robin.
  17. Hi Pete Thats fine.I live almost on Ullswater and my aim was to join the first paddle to get to know more club sea paddlers--I can and do paddle Ullswater any time..If nobody else shows any interest I will cancel it. If you do decide to start from the original venue an hour later let me know and I may join you assuming no body has booked on the continuation trip.
  18. Change of plan. We will now meet at the new car park at Pooley Bridge at 1000 am hopefully after the others have departed. This is a peer group day trip and we will make a final plan when we all meet. My mobile is 07765257469 if anybody is running late etc.
  19. Sue can I be a reserve for fridays trip if a place becomes available ?
  20. Tom P

    Arnside Borewave


    see you tomorrow
  21. Tom P

    Arnside Borewave


    If You are paddling river boats I will bring my wavesport Diesel.
  • Create New...