Jump to content
LCC AGM DEC 6TH ×
Lakeland Canoe Club

andymtw

Members
  • Posts

    19
  • Joined

  • Days Won

    1

andymtw last won the day on November 27 2019

andymtw had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

343 profile views

andymtw's Achievements

Advanced Member

Advanced Member (3/3)

1

Reputation

  1. until
    A series of 3 x 1½ hrs sessions at Kendal Rugby Club. 1. Thursday Nov 4th @19.30 2. Thursday Dec 2nd @19.30 3. Thursday January 13th 2022 @19.30 To enable logical progression and content delivery those signing up must be able to do all 3 sessions. So as to maximise opportunities for club members please only sign up if you are sure you can attend all 3 sessions. No previous experience of sea-kayak navigation required or necessary. Outline general format for the 3 sessions as follows deck-top navigation principles and equipment, charts vs. maps, scales nM, km, M, distance and speed, direction and terminology: heading, bearing, course over ground, track, course to steer, drift, simple pilotage /buoyage, position fixing and transits, tides and tidal streams, passage planning, linear trips inshore <5km crossings >5km crossings and considerations for offshore paddling. We'll work towards planning trips that you'd eventually like to do - and maybe even try some out. If there's a demand; GPS fundamentals,... and anything else which occurs to any of us as the series develops. Max of 12 to RSVP in the usual way with each person to pay £10 (3x£3.33+1p) to LCC by BACS to cover room hire. Additional information will be sent out to RSVP individuals prior to Thurs Nov 4th by email. The signing on process is as follows ... RSVP in the usual way. Pay £10 to the LCC account using sort code 204528 and account number 80558613 using reference SKN2021/1/1-3 and your initials - e.g. SKN2021/1/1-3AM (Andy Murphy) When your name appears on the RSVP list and you have paid LCC send your email address to me (andymtw@talktalk.net) and I'll send out additional information towards the end of October. Everyone has to start somewhere ... literally ... so go for it. Any questions or further information required? ...call me on 07471 890975. Andy Murphy
  2. Event details Share Follow2 BE Covid aware Maximum no 6 Windermere Sunday 23rd May Organiser: Andy Murphy 07471 890975 1. Trip type: Morning session in forecasted bad weather to explore knowledge/skills gaps and gain experience paddling and rescuing in realistic conditions. 2. Level of ability: Sea kayak improvers, intermediate, advanced. 3. Date: Sunday 23rd May at 10am. 4. Venue: Meet at Windermere, Fell Foot (south car park) at 10am. 6. Meet to share lifts at = no lifts. Out and back journey which will demand paddling (or towing) against S winds which are forecast to reach 35km/h by 1pm. 7. Anything else: Rescues and capsizes are usually required when conditions are not ideal - weather conditions and water temperatures this Sunday are forecasted to be realistic but do be assured that this session is to be 'developmental' so a willingness to take part to a level which suits the individual and the group is all that's required. Choosing a manageable route, surfing downwind, paddle-leashes, storage of deck-equipment, testing tow systems, optional capsize and rescue training, rolling/capsizing with rescuers nearby and anything else folks would like to try is useful preparation for when situations develop for real. The S end of Windermere on a windy day can provide lots of shelter and it's not a day to go out on to the sea. Bring lots of warm clothing - we won't be paddling far so work on the basis that substantial insulation will be preferable. Dry suits are ideal if you have one but don't worry if not... in fact paddling and rescuing in the kit you regularly wear is good training in itself ... is it fit for purpose? It's worth noting that the human body loses heat to water at a rate 15-20 times faster than it does to air at the same temperature so solid wind protection when the body is wet is crucial; if you can find one in the cellar bring an XXXL waterproof which will fit over all your paddling kit, buoyancy aid included. Warm drinks and lots of food and a mat to sit on. Advisable to have/make some form of paddle leash ... a bungee around the wrist will do for now. A swimming cap to go under your woolly hat adds a layer of waterproofing, warmth and dryness. Towline and throw-line, split paddles, pump, sponge, paddling gloves if you have them. If your kayak has hatches that are not currently tied/secured on to the kayak's deck lines then sort that out before arrival. I envisage we'll all have had enough after 2-3hrs in the wind and rain. If in doubt do give me a call on 07471 890975- 6 places only. Andy Murphy Please make sure you've read the club's (and British Canoeing) guidance regarding kayaking and Covid-19. Please read notes re river trips here: https://lakelandcanoeclub.wordpress.com/trips/ Report Event Download Event
  3. until

    Hi Annette, I'm sure it'll pan out. I'll see you on Tuesday 18th. Andy Murphy
  4. Hi Rob ... Ive just emailed you regarding LCC leadership status. Call me when you get a chance. I'm good for the 18th but would like to know the plan. All good. Andy Murphy
  5. until
    Event details Add Tag Share Follow1 Event details AILSA CRAIG MONDAY AUGUST 16TH - WEDNESDAY AUGUST 18TH 2021 : This trip is now postponed due to unsettled weather. The established WhatsApp group of 6 will remain open and active so as to reschedule the trip at the earliest opportunity. MAXIMUM OF 6 For initial tidal planning times of HW Dover are shown below (HW Greenock = HW Dover +0112 ±25mins) Monday 16th Aug (HWDover 0504, LWDover 1216, HWDover 1740) Tuesday 17th Aug (LWDover 0057, HWDover 0622, LWDover 1326, HWDover 1902) Wednesday 18th Aug (LW Dover 0212, HWDover 0759, LWDover 1449, HWDover 2034) Tidal streams are generally weak (0.6kts) but these run 90° across the proposed track and so the intention, using times above, is to paddle the last 2 hours of ebb and first 2 hours of flood(ish). Offshore direct distance (1 way) is 14km. Additional navigation information to be added and shared nearer the time. This event is weather and swell dependent (rocks/boulder coastline landing) and so will go ahead only in settled conditions with a good forecast. Co-ordinator : Andy Murphy 1. Trip type: Sea: Mon 16th/Tues 17th/Weds 18th August 2021 crossing to Ailsa Craig from Lendalfoot. Camp on Ailsa Craig overnight. If the forecasted weather is unsatisfactory the group to explore and agree alternative venues and possibilities. 2. Level of ability: Advanced - max 6. All equipment to be self-contained and Covid secure. 3. Dates: Monday 16th to Wednesday 18th August 2021: 3 days to allow some flexibility. Group to decide actual crossing dates and times. 4. Venue : Lendalfoot - Ailsa Craig return. 5. Meet location/time : to be agreed. The car park at Lendalfoot is ideally placed for van-camping the night before. 6. Meet to share lifts at?: No lift shares due to Covid. All paddling, camping, cooking and bivis to follow Covid guidelines ( self-reliant and self-sufficient). 7. Anything else: Ailsa Craig is uninhabited and so all equipment for a safe overnight must be carried. The landing at Ailsa Craig is not straightforward in any swell or chop and in the event of being unable to land an immediate return journey may have to be made having had 'no stretch of the legs'. Easterly winds are notoriously fickle in this area with afternoon winds often generated above those forecast so packing extra food / fuel and a willingness to 'ride it out' is required. This may involve a night-paddle return. Pee-bottles useful. Any questions or further information required contact Andy Murphy. Please read notes regarding trip protocols and definitions here: https://lakelandcanoeclub.wordpress.com/trips/ This trip is full: 2021 signatories have priority. Manage Event
  6. Hello folks ... I'm assuming this is the "old SIs' " day out.
  7. until

    This trip is now cancelled. Participants PR LRP JH TP use the WhatsApp group for alternative arrangements.
  8. until

    Andy Murphy mobile 07471 890975
  9. until
    Event details BE COVID AWARE PEER TRIP (Cancelled) THIS TRIP IS NOW CANCELLED DUE TO UPDATED SCOTTISH COVID 19 GUIDANCE Participants use 'Ailsa Craig' WhatsApp group for alternative arrangements. Thurs 17th (HW Greenock 1324): on the water / depart Lendalfoot for 1100. Tidal streams are generally weak (0.6kts) but this trip is to be held during spring tides and these run 90° across proposed track. Last 2 hours of flood and first 2 hours of ebb (ish). Trip to be confirmed/updated on Tuesday evening 15th Sept. Co-ordinator : Andy Murphy 1. Trip type: Sea: Thurs crossing to Ailsa Craig from Lendalfoot. Camp on AC overnight and return Friday. 2. Level of ability: Advanced - max 6. All equipment to be self-contained. 3. Date: Weds 16th to Friday 18th Sept 2020 4. Venue : Lendalfoot - Ailsa Craig return 5. Meet location / time : Lendalfoot 2000 Wednesday 16th. 6. Meet to share lifts at?: No lift shares due to Covid. All paddling, camping, cooking and bivis to follow Covid guidelines ( self-reliant and self-sufficient). 7. Anything else: Ailsa Craig is uninhabited and so all equipment for a safe overnight must be carried. The landing at Ailsa Craig is not straightforward in any swell or chop and in the event of being unable to land a return journey may have to be made having had 'no stretch of the legs'. Easterly winds are notoriously fickle in this area with afternoon winds often generated above those forecast so packing extra food / fuel and a willingness to 'ride it out' required. This may involve a night-paddle return. Pee-bottles useful. Please read notes regarding trip protocols and definitions here: https://lakelandcanoeclub.wordpress.com/trips/ RSVP on calendar.
  10. until

    All still good for tomorrow Friday 14th Aug. Meet Roa Island at 0900 and on the water for 1030. Andy
  11. until
    Event details Be covid aware PEER trip Plans to be discussed with all group members and then confirmed. Thurs 13th @ 1055 : all good for tomorrow. Meet Roa Island 0900 Friday 14th and on the water for 1030. Will update this evening. Trip to be confirmed/updated on Thursday evening 13th August. Co-ordinators Andy Murphy and Rob Hitchmough 1. Trip type: Sea: Friday 14th Aug crossing Morecambe Bay from Roa Island to Knott End / Fleetwood and Sat 15th Aug return. Overnight bivi site to be agreed. 5/6 hour paddle using middle hours of ebb and first of new flood into Knott End (River Wyre). HW Barrow Friday 14th: 0808 and LW: 14.27. Return Saturday. 2. Level of ability: Advanced - max 6. All equipment to be self-contained. 3. Date: Friday 14th August / bivi / return on Saturday 15th August (at tide time to be agreed). 4. Venue : Return trip Roa Island to Knott End / Fleetwood. 5. Meet location / time : Roa Island Friday 14th August at 0800 to pack gear and finalise plan. 6. Meet to share lifts at?: No lift shares due to Covid. All paddling, camping, cooking and bivis must follow Covid guidelines: self-reliant and self-sufficient. 7. Anything else: (The bivi experience could be... 'urban'.) Neap tides. All weather dependent. Please read notes regarding trip protocols and definitions here: https://lakelandcanoeclub.wordpress.com/trips/ RSVP on calendar. Report Event Download Event
  12. Hi Folks, If anyone who is already signed up for Phil's Wednesday 8th Jan trip decides to pull out (RSVP limit now reached) then I'd be keen to take the vacant place. Have a good trip. Andy Murphy
  13. If a place becomes available for the trips posted (7th and 14th December) I'd be keen to join the group - I'll keep an eye on the website. Many thanks, Andy Murphy
  14. If a place becomes available for the trips posted (7th and 14th December) I'd be keen to join the group - I'll keep an eye on the website. Many thanks, Andy Murphy
×
×
  • Create New...