Jump to content
LCC AGM DEC 6TH ×
Lakeland Canoe Club

duncangoulder

Members
  • Posts

    14
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by duncangoulder

  1. until
    BE Covid aware Organiser: Duncan Goulder 07730411538 1. Trip type: Coastal trip 2. Level of ability : Advanced or confident intermediate 3. Date: Paddling Sat 29th & Sun 30th May, arriving at campsite evening of Friday 28th. 4. Venue: Campsite to be discussed in specific WhatsApp group 5. Meet location / time : To be discussed in specific WhatsApp group 6. Meet to share lifts at: No lift share due to covid. Shuttles with mitigation may be a feature of this trip. 7. Anything else: The main aim is to round Flamborough Head and visit the seabird colony of Bempton Cliffs, continuing to Filey. The other day will likely be a coastal trip locally, possibly continuing north from Filey to Scarborough, although to be decided based on weather / sea state & group preferences. All plans are subject to an assessment of the conditions at the time of paddling and may change as a result. Some surfing will probably feature during one or both of the days. Parts of this trip will be committing due to the lack of landing opportunities along the high cliffs which extend for several km either side of the Flamborough headland. The tidal stream (potentially up to 3 knots this weekend) would make back-tracking difficult if conditions are bigger than expected. The headland is exposed to wind and swell from north, south and east. Once beyond the cliffs the beaches may be subject to surf which can sometimes also make landing a challenge. Please refer to LCC’s guidance on trip suitability, & if you’re not sure just give me a call on 07730411538 for a chat.
  2. I see this is one of two sessions that were originally scheduled for Nov 15th: is the second group rescheduled also? I was signed on and am still keen, although I only see the rsvps for the first session on the calendar. Just wondering if its ok for me to come along or not? Thanks.
  3. until

    Hi Ian, Please could you get in touch with me ASAP (call or message). I'm trying to book a campsite but finding availability tricky. Would be good to know if you're bringing a tent or van etc., & also to discuss the weather forecast & expected conditions on the water. Thanks Duncan
  4. until
    Event details *** THIS TRIP HAS BEEN POSPONED IN LIGHT OF THE FORECAST FOR HEAVY ONSHORE WINDS AND SWELL. FUTURE DATES WILL BE POSTED *** BE COVID AWARE PEER trip Co-oridnator: Duncan Goulder (07730411538) 1. Trip type: Sea - 2 day coastal trip (24km & 15km) with overnight camp & shuttles. 2. Level of ability : Intermediate 3. Date: Sat 3rd Oct - Sun 4th Oct 4. Venue : Flamborough -> Filey / Filey -> Scarbourgh 5. Meet location / time : The plan is to meet at a local campsite (to be arranged) on Friday evening & discuss/impliment shuttle arrangements to allow us to be on the water at Flamborough South Landing around 0800 on Saturday. This will allow us to round the headland during the first hour of the north going stream & hopefully not be hindered by an eddy that may form beyond it. 6. Meet to share lifts at: no lift share due to Covid. 7. Anything else: Some parts of this trip will involve exposed sections of coastline with some tidal movement and no escape routes. Where landing is possible there is a chance of needing to come through surf. I expect the format to be 2x day trips covering a continuous linear distance facilitated by shuttles. The overnight stay will be at a local campsite as I'm not familiar with this section of coastline & don't know how feisable a wildcamp would be. The plus side of that is we'll probably be paddling lightly loaded boats which may allow the opportunity to play in the surf & enjoy some rockhopping en-route as & where conditions are suitable. Day 1: Flamborough to Filey (24km). Spring tide with a max rate of 2-3kn at the headland. Day 2: Filey to Scarborough (15km). A more civilised start is possible today. Max rate 2kn at Filey Brigg. Please send me a whatsapp (07730411538) once you've RSVP'd so that I can communicate with you all as a group to confirm or adjust arrangements. All weather dependent etc. see wind and waves forecast here: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/flamborough Please read notes re trips here: https://lakelandcanoeclub.wordpress.com/trips/ Make sure you've read the club's (and British Canoeing) guidance regarding kayaking during lockdown. Note: this is a peer trip. I'm happy to arrange and co-ordinate, but I will most likely not be the most experienced kayaker on the water. Make sure you are fully self sufficient. RSVP at least 2 days before the event No guests.
  5. Hi Roy, Yes, drive straight down to the far end of the car park & park next to the 2 shipping containers which you'll be able to see on approach. The river & weir is just over the fence. See you there. Duncan
  6. Event details BE COVID AWARE PEER trip Organiser : Duncan Goulder 07730411538 1. Trip type : Park & Play / own skills practice (un-coached) 2. Level of ability : Improver or above 3. Date : 12/09/2020 4. Venue : The wier behind Kendal Rugby Club by the club container 5. Meet location / time : 17:00 6. Meet to share lifts at : No lift share due to Covid-19. 7. Weather : 8. Anything else : The inspiration for this is that I've just picked up a 2nd hand boat & intend to give it a spin before committing to taking it on a river trip. I invite fellow club members to join me for a play. Following club protocol please RSVP so that numbers can be limited and recorded. I'll be there from 17:00 regardless of whether anyone else comes or not. Once you've RSVP'd, feel free to turn up & join in, & if you send me a text I can let you know if there is any change to the plan. I don't expect any coaching to be available on this session, so expect to work on your own skills. Please make sure you've read the club's (and British Canoeing) guidance regarding kayaking and Covid-19. Please read notes re river trips here: https://lakelandcanoeclub.wordpress.com/trips/ Note: this is a peer trip. I'm happy to arrange and co-ordinate, but I will most likely not be the most experienced kayaker on the water. Please RSVP on the calendar.
  7. Hi John & Pete, Great, yes of course you're very welcome. My number is 07730411538. If you are all able to send me a WhatsApp message or text it would be helpful to have your contact numbers. Otherwise, see you there.
  8. Hi John. Sounds good to me. Sorry you can't make it also, hope to meet you another time. Duncan
  9. Event details BE COVID AWARE 1. Trip type: Sea kayak rescue session 2. Level of ability: This session is primarily aimed at newcomers / improvers to sea kayaking 3. Date: Sunday 6th September 4. Venue : Arnside 5. Meet location / time : 14:00 at the far end of Arnside Promenade 6. Meet to share lifts at: No lift share due to Covid-19. 7. Anything else: The plan is... High water is at 15:31 BST. We'll get kitted up on arrival at 14:00 & then have a bank based discussion on safety kit & strategy until the flood tide slackens aproaching high water. At this point we'll get out & do some practical rescues until the ebb flow picks up and/or water becomes shallow. Please bring any safety kit you might already have, tow lines, flares, radios, self rescue floats etc. Expect to get wet & dress accordingly. Hot drinks, snacks & changes of clothes highly recommended. Make sure you've read the club's (and British Canoeing) guidance regarding kayaking during lockdown. Check on Sunday morning first thing to ensure it's still running
  10. Due to the forecasted high winds this trip is now cancelled. Thanks ArnsideBorewave: As per the trip the day before, incase you couldn't make it on the Friday or the RSVP limit was reached before you booked. You need to be good at surfing, bracing, supporting and not capsizing, or have a good roll. Please excuse the stolen text (ammended for tide times): we paddle out into the bay for approximately 1.5 hours, if I get my timing right we have a rest and a drink, then hopefully a decent borewave will arrive. It’s not guaranteed as channels change and radically affect the size And even existence of the wave. meet at far end of Arnside prom. Outside Ashmeadow. at 10.45 ready to paddle at 11:00 Weather Dependent: This trip may be cancelled if there is high wind, OR if the Friday 21st trip has to be postponed/delayed and would clash with this trip (thereby exceeding max permitted group size). In the unlikely case of such complications I'll communicate with those who've RSVP'd at the earliest opportunity. For info I'll be keen to check out the wave behind the bridge once we arrive back in town incase there's some fun to be had there too. Event detail BE COVID AWARE Peer Group Trip 1. Trip type: Borewave , Surfing!? 2. Level of ability : Advanced 3. Date: Saturday 22nd August 4. Venue : Arnside 5. Meet location / time : Far end of prom near Ashmeadow 6. Meet to share lifts at: 7. Anything else: River or sea kayak
  11. until
    This is a re-try of the May trip which was posponed due to strong winds & heavy swell. BE Covid aware PEER trip Organiser: Duncan Goulder 07730411538 1. Trip type: 3 days of sea kayak day trips over a long weekend. 2. Level of ability : Advanced 3. Date: Traveling to campsite Friday 30th July 2021. Paddling Sat, Sun & however much of Monday 2nd Aug as we feel like before driving back. 4. Venue: Campsite TBC 5. Meet location / time : TBC nearer the time 6. Meet to share lifts at: No lift share due to Covid 7. Anything else: The intended plan A trips (weather dependant) are: 1. Bardsey Island circumnavigation, crossing from / to Aberdaron 2. Lleyn Peninsula - exploring as much of the area between Porth Dinllean & Llanbedrog as time allows, since we're down there. A plan B might include some surfing at Hell's Mouth if there is any to be had...? This trip involves open crossings exposed to wind and swell from several directions in an area of strong tidal streams and overfalls. Please feel free to give me a call if you're not sure about suitability, I'll be more than happy to chat it through. Thanks.
  12. until
    BE Covid aware PEER trip Organiser: Duncan Goulder 07730411538 1. Trip type: Sea kayak day trips over a weekend 2. Level of ability : Advanced 3. Date: Traveling to campsite Friday 18th June 2021 in order to make use of morning tides on Sat 19th 4. Venue: Campsite TBC (probably Anglesey Outdoors, Porth Dafarch) 5. Meet location / time : TBC nearer the time 6. Meet to share lifts at: TBC nearer the time 7. Anything else: The intended plan A trips (weather dependant) are: 1. The Skerries from Cemlyn Bay, returning via Carmel Head along the Anglesey coast 2. Penryn Mawr tide race play session, continuing around The Stacks (Porth Dafarch to Soldiers Point) OR circumnavigation of Holy Island - depending on the interest within the group. Plan B's & other alternatives to be discussed & arranged as per weather and sea conditions. Its a neap tide but will flow up to 3kn in locations potentially covered by this trip. The open crossing to The Skerries from Cemlyn is around 3.5nm in tidal water. This is a peer trip - I am not qualified to lead groups but am happy to coordinate & undertake the necessary planning for self-sufficient group members who are comfortable padling in exposed tidal locations. If in doubt please give me a call.
×
×
  • Create New...