Tidal streams are generally weak (0.6kts) but these run 90° across the proposed track and so the intention, using times above, is to paddle the last 2 hours of ebb and first 2 hours of flood(ish). Offshore direct distance (1 way) is 14km. Additional navigation information to be added and shared nearer the time.
This event is weather and swell dependent (rocks/boulder coastline landing) and so will go ahead only in settled conditions with a good forecast.
1. Trip type: Sea: Mon 16th/Tues 17th/Weds 18th August 2021 crossing to Ailsa Craig from Lendalfoot. Camp on Ailsa Craig overnight. If the forecasted weather is unsatisfactory the group to explore and agree alternative venues and possibilities.
2. Level of ability: Advanced - max 6. All equipment to be self-contained and Covid secure.
3. Dates: Monday 16th to Wednesday 18th August 2021: 3 days to allow some flexibility. Group to decide actual crossing dates and times.
4. Venue : Lendalfoot - Ailsa Craig return.
5. Meet location/time : to be agreed. The car park at Lendalfoot is ideally placed for van-camping the night before.
6. Meet to share lifts at?: No lift shares due to Covid. All paddling, camping, cooking and bivis to follow Covid guidelines ( self-reliant and self-sufficient).
7. Anything else:
Ailsa Craig is uninhabited and so all equipment for a safe overnight must be carried.
The landing at Ailsa Craig is not straightforward in any swell or chop and in the event of being unable to land an immediate return journey may have to be made having had 'no stretch of the legs'.
Easterly winds are notoriously fickle in this area with afternoon winds often generated above those forecast so packing extra food / fuel and a willingness to 'ride it out' is required. This may involve a night-paddle return.
Any questions or further information required contact Andy Murphy.
Please read notes regarding trip protocols and definitions here: