Jump to content
Lakeland Canoe Club

Walney around the South End


Event details

Friday 17:30. Conditions look OK, temperature reaching 9 C, wind F3 from the south and 0.3m swell from the SW, we might even need sunglasses. Just for once all the forecasts seem to agree.

Meet as planned 09:15 at Biggar Bank. Just in case my mobile number is 07835 448621.

Check Here for confirmation that trip is going ahead and for any changes. 18:00 on Saturday 11th.

1. Event co-ordinator Sten Sture

2. Trip Leader leader Sten Sture

3. Trip type: Sea

4. Level of ability : Improver or better

5. Date: Sunday 12th February

6. Venue : Walney Island, A trip around the South End.

7. Meet location / time : Biggar Bank Large layby on West side of road approx. 500 m South of the houses 09:15  


8.We will need to organise a shuttle to the take out at Jubilee Bridge.  


Aim to be back at Biggar Bank and on the water by 10:30

9. It will be quite a long carry from cars to the water at Biggar Bank so a trolly would be an advantage but not essential.

Anything else: Weather permitting the plan is to paddle South from Biggar around the South End stopping for lunch probably on Piel Island and then North up the Channel to reach Jubilee bridge around high water.

Tide height is 8.24 (Ramsden Dock ).

HW is at 15:15 so aim to be on the water at Biggar Bank by 10:30

Should be at Jubilee Bridge before 15:30

Bring lunch and a flask. The Ship Inn may be open so bring some cash if you fancy a fresh brew or a beer.

Sea kayaks only. 

RSVP Limit at 6 unless another club leader joins the trip and is willing to assist.

Please read notes re Sea trips here:


I am happy to co-ordinate and lead the trip. However, as we will be a team, we are jointly responsible for each other’s safety on the water.

Please ensure you carry the correct kit for the trip you are attending.

Recommended Comments

Hi Unfortunately I sustained some damage to my dry suit following the snow moon paddle on Windermere and the items I needed to facilitate a repair arrived in good time, however bad news they sent the wrong items.

They were to send the correct items by this morning but I fear they will not arrive today.

As a consequence I do not wish to risk paddling without a dry suit in the cold conditions in case of a capsize. I have had this experience in a two piece and one rapidly chills once wet. So I will remove myself to enable another to join the paddle tomorrow.

Cheers George

Link to comment

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Create New...