Arran coastal paddling - day trips from Smugglers Den
Event created by Annette Morris
UP-DATE: Weather looking OK for this weekend on Arran, even though in a pattern of changeable conditions. To make use of forecast good weather, we'll paddle Saturday on east coast and will fit in with ferry times. It's light till 7pm!
We still have a free place if anyone wants to join us for a paddle off Arran this weekend or later in the week. £15 per night.
Smugglers Den near Corrie, will be our base for a few days. As it is March weather may be inclement! However, unless very windy there should be somewhere we can paddle. Please be prepared for some walking just in case we can't paddle every day.
The aim is to have safe paddles in beautiful scenery and observe the amazing nature Arran has to offer. Wild life in winter off Arran is wonderful - a large pod of dolphins continues to swim around Arran. Otters are often seen from Smugglers Den, and we'll see both Black Throated and Great Northern Divers. Can't promise a sea eagle but a golden eagle is possible.
Proposed paddles subject to weather include:
· paddle across to Holy Isle to see Buddhist retreat, soay sheep, eriskay ponies, etc,
· from Brodick to Fallen Rocks, returning to finish at Smugglers Den
. tour of Brodick Bay, including paddle up the river and visit to Brodick Castle Harbour
. from Kildonan to Whiting Bay by Dippen Head, and maybe around Pladda
· Lochranza to Sannox alongside varied geological features
· Brodick to Clauchlands point and beyond
. Machrie to Blackwaterfoot past Kings Cave and basalt columns
We have 8 individual beds, 3 bathrooms, large kitchen, etc, for our comfort. Please be prepared to share a twin room or sleep on a bed settee. Please bring sheet sleeping bag and pillow case.
Cost is £70 each to cover the house-keeping expenses, and in addition we share cooking costs and duties (Co-op is only 4 miles away - so easy). And there is a chip shop and pub nearby! or £15 a night if you're joining us for a shorter time.
1. Event co-ordinator Annette Morris
2. Trip Leaders: Annette Morris and Alistair Hornsby
3. Trip type: Coastal sea kayaking with short crossings to Holy Isle and Pladda
4. Level of ability: Intermediate or better
5. Date: 18th to 23rd March 2023 (we have a day either side in case weather is superb or ferry problems). My self and Alistair will be there from 17th March.
6. Venue: Isle of Arran, Smuggler's Den | Smuggler's Den in Corrie (cottages-and-castles.co.uk)
7. Meet location/time: Friday 17th evening or any time Saturday 18th March
8. Travel: 2.5 hours from Carlisle to Ardrossan ferry. Return 23rd Thursday afternoon 16.40 ferry.
Return fare about £33 for a car and £8 per person. Or wheel your kayak on to ferry.
9. Sea kayaks only. I have 1 spare sea kayak at Smugglers Den - original glass avocet,
10. Please be aware that we will have two dogs in the house.
Any questions 07740 740516
Please read notes re trips here:
I am happy to co-ordinate and lead the trip. However, as we will be a team, we are jointly responsible for each other’s safety on the water.
Please ensure you carry the correct kit for the trip you are attending
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now