Arran coastal paddling - centre based
Event created by Annette Morris
Join us for part or all, for day paddles in beautiful scenery. Weather looking good!
Plan is to have three full day paddles of about 15- 20km on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus two half days Monday late afternoon and Friday morning. There are options to both extend or shorten our paddles each day. At high tide we can launch from our base, Smugglers Den. Smuggler's Den | Smuggler's Den in Corrie (cottages-and-castles.co.uk).
Smugglers Den holiday house has 8 individual beds (4 single, 2 double plus 2 bed settees), 3 bathrooms, large kitchen, etc, for our comfort. Please be prepared to share a twin room or sleep on a bed settee.
Unless very windy there should be somewhere we can paddle. Bring your walking boots in case too windy to paddle or you want a rest from paddling.
Proposed paddles subject to weather include:
- Brodick Bay to North Sannox giving spectacular views of Goat Fell - Monday afternoon
- circumnavigation of Holy Isle to see Buddhist retreat, soay sheep, eriskay ponies, etc, from Brodick - probably Tuesday
- from Kildonan round Isle of Pladda and up to Whiting Bay
- Lochranza to Sannox alongside varied geological features
- Machrie to Blackwaterfoot past Kings Cave and basalt columns
Cost is £15 per night each to cover the house-keeping expenses, and in addition we share cooking costs and duties (Co-op is only 4 miles away - so easy). And there is a chip shop and pub!
Guests welcome- paddling or non-paddling.
1. Event co-ordinator Annette Morris
2. Trip Leader: Annette Morris,
3. Trip type: Coastal sea kayaking with short crossings to Holy Isle and Pladda
4. Level of ability: Improver or better
5. Date: 19th to 23rd September 2022
6. Venue: Isle of Arran, Smuggler's Den | Smuggler's Den in Corrie (cottages-and-castles.co.uk)
7. Meet location/time: Monday afternoon 19th September at Ardrossan ferry terminal by 12 noon or Little Co oP Brodick at 2pm.
8. Travel: Calmac are running normal timetable on Monday. Propose outbound ferry from Ardrossan, Monday 19th at 12.30. Return on Friday 23rd 15.15 or 16.40. Or join us from Tuesday.
It is 2.5 hours by car from Carlisle to Ardrossan ferry. Return fare about £33 for a car and £8 per person. We’ll aim to car share. It is possible to leave car at Ardrossan and wheel kayak over.
9. Sea kayaks only
Please read notes re trips here:
I am happy to co-ordinate and lead the trip. However, as we will be a team, we are jointly responsible for each other’s safety on the water.
Please ensure you carry the correct kit for the trip you are attending.
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now