This event is highly weather dependent so a willingness to be flexible is essential. Plans to be discussed with all group members and then confirmed by agreement (after formation of specific event WhatsApp group).
Current forecast (at 2100 Saturday Jan 22nd) for Mon24th-Tues25th is stable. Please check forecasted conditions and wind-speeds to gauge whether or not your ability is matched.
We will only depart if everyone is happy to do so after meeting and discussions on Monday evening.
Call me on 07471 890975 if you'd like to chat before signing up.
Co-ordinator Andy Murphy
1. Trip type: Sea, Monday 24th-Tuesday 24th January 2022.
Plan A - Crossing Morecambe Bay from Roa Island to Knott End / Fleetwood. Return crossing Tuesday.
5/6 hour paddle using last hours of ebb from Roa Island and first of new flood into Knott End/Fleetwood (River Wyre) departing Roa Island ~1930 arriving Fleetwood Tuesday early morning ~0100. Return Roa Isl. Tues
Plan B - Night paddle to "Outer Bar Buoy" SD22493 60392 and/or "Sea 2" SD20290 57886 in Walney Channel and return (Monday).
Monday 24th January HW Liverpool 1505, LW 2201,
Tuesday 25th January HW Liverpool 0337, LW 1012, HW 1555
2. Level of ability: Advanced - max 3 including AM. All equipment to be self-contained.
4. Plan A: Return trip Roa Island to Knott End / Fleetwood.
5. Meet location/time: Roa Island Monday 24th January 1800 to pack/check gear and finalise plan.
6. All paddling, camping, cooking and bivis must follow Covid guidelines. Every participant must carry equipment to be self-reliant, self-sufficient and comfortable . Discussions to be held regarding equipment after formation of WhatsApp group. Everyone must bring along a compass, bivi-bag, towing system, split paddles, paddle leash, whistle, vhf, emergency strobe, plb and submersible lighting.
Stove to make warm food/breakfast at Fleetwood and full set of spare clothing/equipment essential.
7. Anything else:
(The bivi experience could be ... very cold, damp and urban.) Neap tides. All VERY weather dependent. Plan A would be to take next outgoing ebb from Fleetwood ~0730 Tuesday for return journey.
Please read notes regarding trip protocols and definitions here: