Jump to content
Lakeland Canoe Club

North End of Walney (re submitted as deleted by calendar changes)


Event details

Cancelled Forecast is still for strong winds and a 2m swell. I will add this trip to the calendar on Wednesday 2nd March

Update Friday 28th wind forecast is NW force 6 gusting force 8. I will confirm on Sunday by 18:00 but unless there is a significant change the trip will be cancelled. It will be no fun paddling even on the lake in those conditions,


A paddle anticlockwise around the North end of the island. Starting just North of Jubilee Bridge and finishing at Earnse Bay

The original trip has been deleted by a calendar change. It was fully booked please allow the original attendees chance to sign back on. To the best of my recollection they were, Angela S., Brian C., Pete Ashby,  George W., John S. and Sten S. I have opened this up by adding 2 more places 

1. Event co-ordinator Sten Sture

2. Trip Leader leader Sten Sture

3. Trip type: Sea

4. Level of ability : improver or better

5. Date: Monday 31st January

6. Venue : Walney Island

7. Meet location / time : meet at http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=318629&Y=468792&A=Y&Z=110 Slip way just north of Jubilee Bridge on Walney Island at 09:30 to arrange shuttle to Earnse Bay with the aim of being on the water before 10:30

8. Meet to arrange shuttle: As Above

9. Anything else: 

The aim is to have a nice leisurely and sociable paddle with a picnic at North End Hawes. Bring a flask and a sandwich along with calm weather and sunshine.

This trip is 10km long with tidal assistance for the first 5km up Walney Channel. Depending on the wind direction there may be some slight over falls in Scarth Channel as we round North End Hawes

This trip is weather dependant so if the forecast is unfavourable the extent of the trip or the venue may change possibly to a lake or the trip  may be cancelled. I will post the decision on here on Sunday 30th by 18:00.

Tide height is 8.94m.

HW Barrow is at 10:33 so aim to be on the water by 10:30 latest

Should arrive at the finish by 14:30

Sea kayaks. 

Please read notes re trips here:


I am happy to co-ordinate and lead the trip. However, as we will be a team, we are jointly responsible for each other’s safety on the water.

Please ensure you carry the correct kit for the trip you are attending.

RSVP at least 2 days before the event

Recommended Comments

Emma, Ray, and Julian, Please be aware that six of the eight places are spoken for from the original calendar post George W and Pete Ashby still need to re-join the trip. Thanks

Link to comment

Good afternoon,

I am a new member, I think this is full! If not, I am free and willing to paddle! Have all my own kit (inc radio, plb and strobe) just missing a spare set of splits (they're being dispatched this week after my last set went walkies) 

If you do operate a reserve type system, could I please be added to it?

Many Thanks


Link to comment

Hi Sten

Thank you for the update. Let’s hope conditions are more favourable in March, as I was really looking forward to it. I appreciate the effort you have put in to organising a trip like this.


Link to comment

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Create New...