THIS TRIP IS NOW CANCELLED DUE TO UPDATED SCOTTISH COVID 19 GUIDANCE
Participants use 'Ailsa Craig' WhatsApp group for alternative arrangements.
Thurs 17th (HW Greenock 1324): on the water / depart Lendalfoot for 1100. Tidal streams are generally weak (0.6kts) but this trip is to be held during spring tides and these run 90° across proposed track. Last 2 hours of flood and first 2 hours of ebb (ish).
Trip to be confirmed/updated on Tuesday evening 15th Sept.
Co-ordinator : Andy Murphy
1. Trip type: Sea: Thurs crossing to Ailsa Craig from Lendalfoot. Camp on AC overnight and return Friday.
2. Level of ability: Advanced - max 6. All equipment to be self-contained.
3. Date: Weds 16th to Friday 18th Sept 2020
4. Venue : Lendalfoot - Ailsa Craig return
5. Meet location / time : Lendalfoot 2000 Wednesday 16th.
6. Meet to share lifts at?: No lift shares due to Covid. All paddling, camping, cooking and bivis to follow Covid guidelines ( self-reliant and self-sufficient).
7. Anything else:
Ailsa Craig is uninhabited and so all equipment for a safe overnight must be carried.
The landing at Ailsa Craig is not straightforward in any swell or chop and in the event of being unable to land a return journey may have to be made having had 'no stretch of the legs'.
Easterly winds are notoriously fickle in this area with afternoon winds often generated above those forecast so packing extra food / fuel and a willingness to 'ride it out' required. This may involve a night-paddle return.
Please read notes regarding trip protocols and definitions here: